A Masculine Knitted Tee…well, not quite
Late in 2009, I decided I wanted to design a form fitting knitted tee shirt. “Design” may be too weighty of a word…it makes it sound like I know more than I do. Let’s just say I wanted to start experimenting with some prototypes and go from there. While there are lots of sweaters, vests, henleys, etc., there are very few…and I mean *very* few…designs for knitted shirts. In fact, the few patterns I found were vintage patterns and just sort of blah. I wanted something more. Also, I really wanted to make it out of fingering weight, but was having trouble finding a yarn suitable (a cotton blend) in that weight. I settled for a sport weight, using Knit Picks Comfy. I wanted to try making it in the round, so I decided to try a raglan prototype. Here’s the result.
Humm…it’s wearable, so it’s not that bad, but it’s not what I was aiming for. It’s not much above the ho-hum basic knitted shirt. But it is comfortable! Starting wide, and going narrow for the waist, then increasing again for the chest did give it the form fitting shape I wanted. But it looks like an hour glass (feminine) rather than a V (masculine) shape. Okay…tuck in the shirttail! Note to self: Next time, crop the length and make it the narrow width to begin with. The directions I used for the raglan shaping came from Jacqueline Fee’s The Sweater Workshop, which called for 1 1/2 inches of straight knitting rounds before starting the raglan shaping.
Hummm….that makes the shirt body pucker at the sleeve join. Next time…cut out the 1 1/2 inches and start the raglan shaping right away. Collar flares out in back some…too flimsy. Solution: Bind off neck stitches and pick up stitches for neckline knittting rather than use held live stitches. And don’t use the elastic bind-off next time. Finally, sleeves are too long. Cut off about four inches in length.
I’ve not decided whether to rip out down to the sleeve/body join and redo the top of the shirt and sleeves, which means I could make all the changes but those in the shirt-tail area. Or just make another shirt with all the changes.
Or maybe I will just move on… to a fingering weight, and experiment knitting one continuous piece back and forth, from bottom of back, up to sleeve area with additional cast ons on each side for sleeves, bind off for head hole, cast on those stitches on next row, decrease the stitches that form the sleeve and finish knitting the front. Seam the sleeves and sides. I will crop the bottom and make it form fitting at the waist.
I’ll let you know how that one turns out…but give me several months! I have way too many WIP right now!