For all those persons knitting from a book or magazine pattern, a word of caution: Before starting your pattern, check online at the publisher’s website to see if there are any corrections to the pattern.
Here’s my sad story. I’m working on a cropped sweater (women’s) that has an elongated garter stitch (wrap the yarn on the needle, and let it drop on the next round.) It’s the Year ‘Round Jacket in Issue 166, April 2010 of Knit ‘n Style. Because I think it would be a huge pain to try to seam sweater sections of elongated garter stitch, I worked the back, left front and right front back and forth on one very long circular needle. No problem. After that section, the pattern said to increase 10 stitches on each side and 10 stitches on back. I did so ( still on the long needle), and knit the required several inches across the entire sweater width to the length needed before the armhole shaping. I then did each section separately. Having completed the full fashion decreases on the back and knitted to the shoulder, I moved to the left front side. Hummm…the decreases and remaining total stitches didn’t jibe. The pattern cited the same number of decreases and total stitches as for the back. No way. OH, I reasoned, a cut and paste mistake in editing. So I added the number of shaping reductions to get down to the number of stitches to be reached, and knit on up to the shoulder. Hummm….the armhole shapings definitely did not mirror each other as they should…normally. Must be a design element, I thought. I knit the other side. I set it aside to await a chance to start the sleeves.
Next day I’m at work at the Northcoast Knittery, and a women calls about the pattern “Louisa” in French Girl Knits. She asks if we have the Louisa Harding yarn Thalia and is tickled that we do. I look at the pattern, and look at the Thalia yarn, and realize that the wrong yarn is listed in the pattern. The photo shows a chunky weight wool yarn…nothing like Thalia.
I checked Interweave’s website, and no correction is listed. But it’s clearly not the right yarn listed.
AHA moment! I wonder if the sweater pattern I’m working on has a correction listed online? I go to the Knit n Style website, and sure enough, the pattern has a correction listed. AND it’s a big one…rather than increasing 10 stitches on each front side, only five stitches are to be increased, meaning the number of decreases later in the pattern was accurate (if one had the correct fewer stitches.) That meant, of course, that I had twice the number of decreases needed for the left and right front sections. RIPPPPPPP. I had to rip out almost the entire sweater–back, and both sides and all stockinette down to the elongated stitch section. Sigh. I have now increased the proper amount, and begun again.
Lesson Learned, Dear Reader: ALWAYS check for errata first before knitting a published pattern. Check online at the publisher’s website, but also check the pattern discussion on Ravelry. Often mistakes in patterns are mentioned there before publishers post or print a correction.